Moving to a new house, city, or country can be a stressful experience that usually requires packing and storing tips so you can arrange your belongings for an extended period. Regardless of how long you intend to store your belongings, if you intend to keep them for more than a month, you should take extra precautions to assure their safety.
If you are getting ready to move into a new home, we have listed some tips on how to pack your belongings safely.
● But First, Choose What to Keep in the Storage
No matter why you need to store your essentials and belongings for an extended period, the first step is to decide which of your essential stuff you want to keep —storage is expensive, and not all of your old belongings are worth the money to store.
So, before you begin looking for a storage facility or prepping your belongings for protection, go through your belongings and evaluate each item:
● Is it costly?
● Is it difficult or impossible to replace?
● Is it in generally good condition?
● Is it of good quality and long-lasting?
● Is it sentimental in any way?
● Is it valuable and convenient?
● Will you or a family member ever require it again?
If you approve of more than two of these questions, the object is valuable and should be stored safely and efficiently for future use.
Packing And Storing Tips for a Simpler Move
Once you’ve gathered all of your packing materials and estimate moving costs you may begin the laborious work of packing your belongings. It may not appear easy, but the following ideas can help you pack your items swiftly and efficiently:
Make a Plan
➔ Allow yourself sufficient space to move around the unit to obtain access to all of your items.
➔ Cover concrete floors with moving blankets or sheets to protect bedding, furnishings, or items in storage.
➔ Keep your most commonly used goods near the entryway for easy access.
➔ Make the most of your self-storage unit by carefully organizing the space. Make a list of the stuff you’ll be storing, and plan out your storage area to make the most of it.
➔ Store heavy or oversized objects in the back of your unit and stow them on top. To prevent damage, lightweight and fragile goods should be packed lastly.
➔ To save space, place heavy goods such as mattresses, sofas, and worktops along the walls of your storage container.
➔ When required, turn objects on their sides to make the most use of your space by utilizing the entire size of the item.
➔ Consider, that one of the biggest disadvantages of moving to the big city is lack of space, try to get rid of everything you might not need any more.
Pack One Room at a Time
This is one of the most critical packing and storing tips that, for some reason, is frequently overlooked. There is some dispute on whether it is better to store your belongings by room or type, and it depends entirely on what is most convenient for you.
Nonetheless, we urge that you pack your items by room, and it will make the process easier and allow you to notify the movers or anyone else loading which item goes where.
You can also start unpacking and unloading your belongings from the top to the lowest floor. Start with the objects you know will not require unpacking, then proceed to the rest boxes. It will also save your energy since you will likely be exhausted by the end of the moving process to walk up the stairs with even more goods.
● Large furniture items like mattresses or cabinets are challenging to store. If possible, disassemble furniture to make transit more accessible and things easier to store.
● Pack delicate items in bubble wrap after disassembling them to safeguard them.
● Put any screws or bolts in a Ziplock container and label it with the piece of furniture it belongs to.
● Label all home furnishings parts so you can easily reassemble each piece of furniture.
Packing electronics requires a bit more attention since you want to assure that they will operate after you retrieve them from storage. Here are some packing ideas for electronics:
● To reduce dust, pack gadgets in linen or clean newspaper.
● To provide an additional layer of protection, try wrapping electronics with sliding pads or sheets.
● Read the documentation for the electronic since it will typically provide instructions on how to transport and store it properly.
● Never place electronics in a storage container on the floor; instead, place them on a mattress or an item of furniture.
● Keep cords with the item of equipment being stored so that you don’t lose any pieces once you remove them. Consider storing cords in properly labeled plastic bags so you always know which device they belong to.
● If you still have the original box that items arrived in, consider utilizing it.
● For sensitive devices, consider weather-resistant storage.
Don’t Overload and Overpack the Boxes
Boxes should not be heavier than you can easily lift. Heavy objects should be placed at the bottom of boxes to give a strong foundation. Check that they are “square” and do not protrude at the front or sides. It ensures that they remain sturdy when stacked in your storage facility.
It is also critical not to overpack the boxes. If the box is just half full, the contents may shift during delivery or be crushed beneath the weight of more giant boxes or objects. Fill empty gaps with foam packing peanuts to save weight.
Clearly Label Your Moving Boxes
Label your moving boxes using a significant ballpoint marker and detailed explanations of where the box’s contents should be placed in your new home. Start by writing what is in the box, which room it belongs in, and what number concerns the total number of boxes in that sequence. Keep your labeling clear and explicit if you have a huge house.
If the items are fragile, label the box on all sides to ensure proper handling. To make your first day in your new place comfortable, label boxes containing items you will require when you first arrive.
Keep these packing and storage recommendations in mind for your impending relocation. The more effort and care you put into the relocation, the less stressful the moving day will be.
If you require assistance with your relocation, please get in touch with Friend Moving Company. We are one of the best moving companies providing full-service moving assistance.